Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Mmm.... cake!

Cake. You all know you love it. It may not love you as much, but chocolate cake? Simply delicious. My parents gave me a Kitchenaid Mixer for Christmas (yes!). I have been wanting one for YEARS, but couldn't justify spending over $300 on something for myself. I just couldn't. But, I happened to be chatting with my Mom on the phone a few weeks ago, and somehow the mixer came up in the discussion, and low and behold, when we were there for Christmas, there was this huge, heavy box with my name on it. And you guessed it, a beautiful chrome Kitchenaid mixer was in the box. My reaction? Priceless. Just like a kid who gets the exact present or toy they were asking for. That's me *sheepishly grins*. (on a side note, they got it on sale, and it was my Christmas/Birthday present in one). But anyways, after holidays in Pennsylvania, I decided on Saturday to bake a cake for this past Sunday afternoon. And I was just so excited to use my mixer. So this is what my goal was to make: Oreo Bundt Cake.




...... And then I realized I didn't have a bundt cake pan (I did at one point, but I think I had borrowed it from my Mom, and then she needed it back). Bummer. And then I realized I didn't know how to make a glazed icing (gasp!)... and then I realized I didn't have any regular Oreos, so I used mint ones that I had picked up in the USA while on holidays last week. So I made the cake in a 9x13'' pan and then just used a basic chocolate frosting. The result: YUM! And so easy to make.

Ingredients:

1 box of chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. water
2 c. chopped Oreos

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
Combine cake mix, eggs, sour cream, and water in bowl of stand mixer. Beat for two minutes, or until well combined. (I may or may not have squealed in excitement when I turned on my mixer for the first time). Stir in crushed Oreos. 
Pour into prepared pan, bake for 35mins or until just set. Do not overbake.
Remove from oven. If using a bundt pan, allow cake to cool for 10 mins in pan, then remove to cool on rack. If using 9x13 pan, just cool cake in the pan. Top with icing of your preferance. 

Here is a recipe for ganache icing (which I didn't have heavy cream, so I couldn't make):
Heat 1/2 c. heavy cream just to a simmer. Pour over 1/2c. chocolate chips. Stir until smooth.

Until next time, friends!!
Julie




1 comment:

  1. Fellow blogger.. love the writing - sounds like you and lots of great ideas, yummy ones too. Keep up the posts!

    ReplyDelete